At Ecoscape, our achievements as a sustainable landscaping business are as extensive and diverse as the services that we provide. While we take pride in our past accomplishments and as leaders in the landscape industry, we are always looking for new ways to be innovative in our ecological approach. Through our land stewardship programs and business ethics, you can be part of this progressive goal when you hire Ecoscape to care for your land…Naturally! Here are some of the ways we walk our ecological talk:
- Certified Sustainable Landscape Company – by Partners for A Clean Environment, PACE, in recognition of our ecological practices that well exceed industry standards.
- GreenCo Certified – The Green Industries of Colorado recognize our knowledge and application of best management practices for water conservation & preservation.
- 10 for Change Energy Savings Award 2011 – recognizing our 50% reduction in electrical use.
DESIGN, PLANNING, & LANDSCAPING TECHNIQUES
- Site Assessment – An ecological evaluation of your site to determine the sun patterns, soil structure, grading and water flow, and other natural cycles of your land.
- Grading & Drainage – intentionally directing runoff to where it can be utilized; i.e.- passive irrigation and water gardens.
- Appropriate Plant Selections – native plants, pollinator species, edibles, species for habitat creation.
- Appropriate Turf Selections – low water lawns that can utilize as little as 25% of conventional turf.
- Companion Planting Strategies – individual plant properties that relate to health and nutrition, that synergistically improve or defend against interactions with weeds, insects, and other organisms when planted in a group.
- Integrated Pest Management – Systematic approach to eliminate the need for any synthetic chemical controls, by using less invasive tactics.
- Mycorrhizal Inoculation – This beneficial fungi greatly helps to reduce transplanting shock, increase water retention capabilities, increase nutrient uptake from the soil, increase germination rate for seeds, and increase the plants vitality.
- Organic and Plant-Based Products – Naturally derived fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides for all of our necessary applications.
- Plant-based/ Canola bar oil – Used in our chainsaws for all forestry endeavors.
WATER CONSERVATION & PROTECTION
- Water Harvesting Strategies – incorporating roof and site water runoff to be creatively, artistically, and effectively included in your landscape.
- Drip Irrigation Systems – Systems that deliver water directly to the root zone, minimizing evaporation.
- Irrigation Assessment – by evaluating your current irrigation system, we can utilize the data to create more efficiency in your watering schedule saving not only water, but dollars too.
- Smart Controller Irrigation Technology – Programmable systems to minimize unnecessary irrigation, whether through your own weather station or a satellite feed of local weather patterns, the system automatically turns off when not necessary.
- Low Water Lawns – Appropriate grass selections for our region and best practices for maintenance of your lawn.
- Native Plant Selections – Focus on xeriscaping, time-tested perennials, pollinator friendly, and other appropriate, drought tolerant species.
- Extensive Mulching – When used in gardens and planting beds, helps retain moisture in the soil, minimize watering needs, and discourage weeds. All the while, building soil.
- Resource Management – Proper management of materials on site to ensure we are not a polluting the local water ways.
- Integrated Pest Management – Strategies that eliminate the need for synthetic sprays which inevitably leach into our local waterways.
- Locally Produced Goods – Strong supporters of local and regional businesses that stimulate our local economy, thereby minimizing transportation costs and petroleum expenditures.
- Recycled Products – Repurposing materials and products to extend their use-life.
- Uniforms – Purchase of hemp, organic cotton, and bamboo uniforms from local companies here in Boulder.
REDUCE/ REUSE/ RECYCLE
- Composting – All organic matter from landscaping jobs is composted on site or transported to local, municipal composting facilities.
- Recycling & Reducing Landfill – Finding new homes for old landscaping materials removed during a new design project to keep it out of our landfills.
- Conservation – All reusable materials removed from job sites is brought to The ReSource Yard, operated by the Center for Resource Conservation.
- Office Recycling – All bottles, cans, paper, plastic, cardboard, and paper board from our offices by The Green Girl Recyclers in conjunction with Eco- Cycle.
- Reuse – All of our office papers, business cards, and marketing information are printed on 100% recycled paper products.
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY APPLICATIONS
- Renewable Energy Credits – Ecoscape offsets 100% of our office energy use with wind power credits from Renewable Choice Energy.
- Domestic Petroleum – Ecoscape uses only domestically produced petroleum products for our fleet and equipment.
- Alternative Transportation – Ecoscape supports the use of alternative modes of travel for our employees by offering cash incentives.
- Reducing Our Carbon Footprint – Ecoscape is currently analyzing the energy uses of our entire business operation. The ultimate goal of this endeavor is to offset as much of our energy use with carbon credits or renewable energy credits.